« EU-Korea convergences and partnerships 10 years after the EU-Korea FTA, in the post Covid era and within the US-China trade war », November, 10th, 2020
November, 10th, 2020 – Zoom Webinar – 9: 00 AM – 11: 00 AM (Europe time)
Asia Centre is deligthed to host a distinguished panel to discuss the current status of EU and Republic of Korea partnerships, relations and cooperation on multilateral issues and focused sectors of mutual interest.
- Lukas MANDL (chairman of the European Parliament’s Delegation for Relations with the Korean Peninsula)
- Jean-François DI MEGLIO (President of Asia Centre)
Panel 1: The points of convergence within the analysis of post Covid international relations
- Maximilian MAYER (University of Bonn): Introduction
- Antoine BONDAZ (FRS, SciencesPo): « The Covid-19 pandemic as a great opportunity for greater EU-Korea coordination and cooperation »
- Nicola CASARINI (Istituto Affari Internazionali): « EU-Korea strategic partnership ten years after. Opportunities, and challenges, in the age of Covid and mounting US-China tensions »
- Paul ANDRE (SciencesPo): « Is Korea on the threshold of the G7? Strategic opportunities and challenges ahead in the perspective of an enlarged G7 »
- René CONSOLO (French diplomat who worked in Pyongyang): « The European Union’s Restrictive Measures against North Korea : a medium term view, beyond the current difficulties. Looking at solutions beyond the deadlock ».
Transition: Elisabeth Suh (SWP): « Certain uncertainty – the cyber challeng posed by Pyongyang »
Panel 2: future opportunities of EU-ROK cooperation in specific areas of competence and excellence
- Ramon PACHECO-PARDO (King’s College): « Reassessment of the goals intended and achieved through the EU-ROK FTA »
- Tereza NOVOTNA(Marie Sklodowska-Curie Fellow): « What EU-ROK Partnership within the US-China Conflict? »
- Brigitte DEKKER (Clingendael Institute): « EU-ROK digital connectivity: United, we must stand. The implications of China’s techno-nationalism for the European Union and the Republic of Korea ».
- Rafal SMOCZYNSKI (Polish Academy of Sciences): « The status of Korean soft power in Europe »