2021 Support for Establishment of Professorship. Application Period: July 1 to September 10, 2020 (Deadline: September 10, 18:00 KST)
The KF provides financial support for efforts to create new professorships in the field of Korean studies and Korean language at various universities abroad that are equipped with the infrastructure necessary to maintain an adequate level of research and education on Korean studies and have future growth potential. Under this program, the KF funds the establishment and operation of two types of professorships: 1) the Tenure-Track Position, in which the support recipient university agrees to permanently maintain the position from its own resources after the termination of the KF’s support, and 2) the Endowment Chair position, in which the support recipient university operates a permanent professorship with the KF through a jointly created endowment fund.
Universities outside of Korea that plan to create new professorships in Korean studies/Korean language
Korean studies (humanities or social sciences) and Korean language
Details of Support
- Tenure-Track Position (TTP): The KF provides up to 70% of the total amount of the salary* and employee benefits** for the TTP professor of Korean studies/Korean language to be hired by the support recipient university.
* Salary: the hired professor’s salary in accordance with the existing professor salary table of the support recipient university.
** Employee benefits: the non-wage payments, such as fringe benefits and social welfare expenses, that an employer is required to pay to his/her employees according to the laws and regulations of the state or country to which the support recipient university belongs.
- Endowed Chair Position: The KF provides an endowment on an annual basis during the grant period for the new establishment of a permanent professorship in Korean studies/Korean language, on the condition that the support recipient university provides a matching fund contribution of 50% on a dollar-for-dollar basis.
Three to five years
Prerequisites for the KF’s Support
This program aims to support universities that are willing to fund and maintain a newly established Korean studies professorship permanently from its own resources after the conclusion of the KF’s support, or through a jointly created endowment fund. In addition, the universities should ensure that the holder of the professorship will be appointed and promoted through a thorough and fair review of his/her qualifications and accomplishments in accordance with the university’s procedures for appointment, promotion, and tenure for faculty members.
※ Please refer to“Important Reminders” below
- Application Period: July 1 to September 10, 2020 (Deadline: September 10, 18:00 KST)
- Notification of Results: December 2020
- The grant period starts either in the 2021-22 or 2022-23 academic year.